Monday, December 05, 2005

Puesta del Sol

Cuyutlan is getting ready to lay on a gorgeous sunset tonight. There are long, low clouds out over the sea. The sun is sinking and bouncing rays off of their underside. I just went up to the third floor and took some photos. If I can figure out how to get them on this page I will do so, probably tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I will tell you about the celebration of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Between December 1 and 12, the Virgin enjoys unwavering worship. There are shrines to her all over our village, and over in the next town, Armeria. I am going to photograph as many as I can so you can see them. A daily celebration consists of the church bells ringing at about 5:30 AM followed by firecrackers and other bigger fireworks. This lasts about half an hour. The whole process is repeated at noon, 6:00 PM and again at about 10:00. It can be a bit unsettling, as you might imagine. The 12 days are capped by a big parade, lots of fireworks and parties. It is a bigger celebration than is Christmas, which is really quite sedate and quiet. I have never been able to find out what the fireworks are all about. Everybody I know shrugs and says,
"Tradition." The shrines are quite beautiful, some very simple and some very elaborate with twinkle lights, candles, and large statues.

No comments: