Monday, December 26, 2005

Monday at the Tianges

When I approached my favorite vegetable stall this morning, I spotted a big box of beautiful, firm rodondo zucchini squash. I smiled and raised my eyes. The stall owner was looking at me with a big smile on his face.

"Todo son para ti," he said. "All for you!"

So I bought about a kilo and am looking forward to eating them.

Other goodies in today's market included beautiful cauloflower, shiny juice oranges, large and fragrant pineapples, and big Haas avocados. No strawberries today. The jicama is coming in and is sweet and tender, with pale beige skins, not the woody brown ones that indicate toughness. The garlic lady had the big purple heads of garlic, what I think we call "Elephant Garlic." No plants today.

But a good market, all in all.

No comments: