Thursday, December 15, 2005

Did You Place Your Bet?

If you bet "yes", meaning it would all work, YOU LOSE. If you bet "no", meaning another thousand monkeys would be thrown into the mix, YOU WIN. Here I sit, foot all swollen up, unabl to to get out of this fix. The cybercafe was unable to find much less open the document I sent, saying that no document or attachment had arrived. My "sent" file indicates the contrary. More monkeys at work.

But it is a new day and we are trying yet again. I have contacted othber folks here who have computers and printers. The first person I contacted is very knowledgeable about computers but, alas does not have her printer connected as she is expecting a new computer any day (more monkeys!), The second person I contacted has a computer connected to her printer but does not have Acrobat loaded up. The third person I contacted does not have her computer OR a printer hooked up. The fourth person -- by this time I am back with the cybercafe -- tells me he does have Acrobat on one of the café's computers and that I should call back after 4 PM when Justino is there. I have re-sent the document to him and we'll see what that gets me. Otherwise we wait until next week when he gets a new ink cartridge in the FAX machine.

NEWS FLASH! My friend Carolyn (the second person) downloaded Acrobat and printed out the forms. So tomorrow we are off to Colima very early to send the papers to the US. We will reward ourselves for getting through this mess with a lovely lunch at our favorite restaurant, Kronos, where they serve great crepes. I hope we never hear about any of this again.

To while away the time while the monkeys dance, I decided to watch a movie on my laptop. It appears that my Apple DVD Player has disappeared. I am thus reduced to reading Oliver Goldsmith's The Vicar of Wakefield. I read this book in about the 8th or 9th grade and loved it. I am finding it as charming, funny, silly and as full of "rules for good living" as it was then. Perhaps even more so, given some life experience. This is the second book on our reading group list. The first is "The Bridge at San Luis Rey" which I also read years ago and have found as wonderful and instructive as I did at its first reading.

And this is the end of only the second week. Twenty-one more weeks to go.

No comments: