Sunday, April 30, 2006

After midnight . . .

I will no longer be connected to the Internet via Prodigy (dial-up!) service. I am terminating what has been an on-again-off-again relationship. By that I mean I dial in, get connected for 10 seconds, get terminated, and get charged for one phone call. This can happen three for four times until I finally get a line that lasts for awhile. And I am only allowed 100 of these per month, free. After that, I pay about 15 cents per call. It adds up, believe me. And TelMex is the ONLY phone company in Mexico. Like Pemex is the ONLY gasoline company in Mexico.

So after midnight it will be either the local cybercafe or wait until San Diego. That means that our five-month idyll is over and it's back to the US and Davis and TV news and regular delivery of a newspaper. Darn.

If I can write more before we leave next Wednesday, or along the way, I will. Otherwise, the next posting will be from San Diego. My sister is back in the hospital, hoping to return home today. Something to do with faulty dialysis. I trust she will be up and perking by a week from today, our intended arrival dates at her house. Caitlin, too, on a quick visit from Bozeman with Mike.

I am ready to leave here. It is getting very hot and muggy, although the breeze picks up in the afternoon and it is always cool for sleeping. We have moved over to Jack's for these last few days as the kitchen and indeed the entire house has been folded up and packed away for the next few months. I hope that you, readers, are ready to move back, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to you dear Sirena and Jim, and hope your travels are easy. Ours was uneventful. Sorry to learn of the biblioteca troubles. Today I picked up a copy of the Egyptologist. Love, Linda Bristol