Saturday, March 11, 2006

A Day to Celebrate

Today is the birthday of our adored granddaughter Emily, who celebrates her 12th year. Happy birthday, dear Emily. We celebrate you, not only today but every day.

Today is the day we put Andrew on the plane in Colima to return to the care and custody of his parents. That is not what we celebrate. Instead, it is the privilege and distinct pleasure of having had him here for almost a week. Far too short. He is now 17 and is a young man of great charm, humor and gentleness. It was lovely to spend some time with him beyond the reach of the stresses of school and the pressures of family.

I am also celebrating the fact that the troublesome eye problem I have been having for about two months seems to have been solved by the laser jockey I saw up in Colima last week. In the end, I was unable to read. His partial diagnosis was that the implanted lens had become obscured and he could fix it with a few zaps. He did, and I am now happily reading the small print on the back of labels and the wonderful tale Blue Latitudes. This is a marvelous book that I recommend highly.

And of course, I celebrate being here, enjoying the reliable pleasure of Cuyutlán.

No comments: