Friday, November 25, 2005

Post-feast

Most of today was spent digesting yesterday. We also spent some time at the Cathedral in San Diego arranging for the service to commit my mother's ashes to the columbarium on Sunday and doing a bit of shopping. Then Vic and I went to see "Goodnight, and Good Luck," the film about Edward R. Murrow, the making of the CBS news department, the downfall of Joseph McCarthy and the personalities that shaped the TV of the 50's and 60's. A brilliant piece of work. Especially for those of us who remember the times. Extraordinary performance by David Straithorn who plays Murrow.

Ruby and her family went to the San Diego Zoo today. She saw the monkey cage, a few birds and a flamingo and fell asleep. Maybe next year . . .

Tomorrow we go see "Rent." I must get my film fix before a 5-month drought.

Also bought a digital camera to keep a pictoral record of this year's beach stay. I hope to figure out how to get pictures up here without Andrew pushing all the buttons. I did figure out how to get the date and time into the camera. That's the first step.

1 comment:

Pica said...

We went to see that yesterday too. It's the kind of film I enjoy seeing with you; so much to say afterwards. I just loved the tight shots throughout; the scan of faces at the beginning (I hope wardrobe picks up the Oscar for this, though I'm not expecting those chaps to notice); the excitement of discovery about what the power of television really is.

As Ron Sullivan (Toad in the Hole) says, who will be Bush's Edward R. Murrow, or, more to the point, Cheney's?