Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Into the Breach

Well actually, into the ditch. Yes, I drove the car into a ditch. Not really a ditch, but off the road into rubble and sand. I was paying a visit to friends who live w-a-y out in the Colonia, almost at the end of the road. I got in the car to come home, was making a U-turn, sneezed and couldn't find the brake and just rolled across the road, off the tarmac, through a low pile of construction rubble and into the sand. Now what? I threw it into reverse and gave it a go, but only succeeded in spinning my wheels. So I got out of the car, went pack to our friends' house with my tale of woe. No problem! Chris has a 4-wheel drive and would attach a rope and pull me out. So he and his wife, Robbie, got in their car, Chris tied the two cars together and attempted to pull me back onto to road. The rope broke.

Pretty soon a pick-up truck with two adults, one teenager and two younger boys pulled off to the side, hopped out and were ready to help. One of the adults spoke perfect English. Always a help, especially as Chris is Dutch and doesn't speak much Spanish and I had forgotten the word for chain (it's cadena). Chris found another rope and attached the two cars. The fellows went through the rubble under my car and found some bricks and other smooth-sided cement pieces and put them under the front tires. The two younger boys sat in the back of the van for ballast. With the three men in front, Robbie driving, Chris directing, and a couple of false starts, the van finally was pushed/pulled out of the sand and back onto the road, with no apparent damage to either car or people. This is the second time we have been rescued by Good Samaratins who are so kind, so helpful. I think it may have something to do with the fact that they break down so often they just reach out to other road casualties.

Hospital report from last night was that Vic was still unable to eat as she is constantly nauseous. Nobody can figure this out; not the cardiologist, not the nephrologist, not the endocrinologist. No "ologist" they can come up with can diagnose this. So the next one with be a gastroentorologist. All of her "numbers" are good; blood pressure, blood glucose, heart rate, pulse, oxygenation. I will call again tonight to see if any progress has been made.

Who came over to see us? First was Jose, the carpenter who is making a new door for the wall between our back garden and the lot next door (which will soon be ours). The door is beautiful; not it just has to be hung.

The second was Fernando with two fish he had caught. I think he got tired of driving the taxi, had a cold, so went to Manzanillo to fish with his brother. I gave one away, the other I am cooking for dinner. Recipe? Take a whole fish . . .

No comments: